Help with money

You will be aware that from July 15th 2013 the names of the various benefits provided by Work and Income have changed although, according to their website, the benefits themselves have not changed. The table below lists the name changes which may affect you.

Old Name

New Name

Kind of assistance
Domestic Purposes Benefit – Care of Sick and Infirm – DPB-CSI Supported Living Payment Income support for family carers
Invalid’s Benefit Supported Living Payment For disabled person unable to work


Supported Living for a full-time carer

To get the Supported Living Payment because you’re a full-time carer, you need to be caring full-time for someone at home who isn’t your husband, wife or partner. The person you’re caring for must otherwise need to receive hospital or residential-level care.

Examples of this level of care are:

  • Residential disability care
  • Extended care services for severely disabled children and young people

As part of the application process you will need to get medical information from the doctor or specialist of the person you’re caring for.


Supported Living payment for disabled person over the age of 16yrs who is unable to work

To be entitled to this payment you must be:

  • Permanently and severely restricted in your capacity to work because of a health condition, injury or disability.

This means you:

  • have a condition affecting your capacity to work for more than two years, OR
  • have a life expectancy of less than two years AND
  • can’t regularly work 15 hours or more a week in open employment
  • or are totally blind.


Other financial assistance available

Child Disability Allowance

If you care for a child or young person under 18 years old who has a serious disability, who needs constant care and attention, you may also be eligible for a Child Disability Allowance. There is no income or asset limit for this allowance. Read more here.


Disability Allowance

If the person being cared for has ongoing additional costs because of ill health or disability, they may get a Disability Allowance. It helps with costs like regular visits to the doctor, prescriptions, and some travel costs. There is an income limit for this allowance. Read more here.


Accommodation Supplement

Accommodation Supplement is a weekly payment which helps people with their rent, board or the cost of owning a home. Read more here.


Advance Payment of Benefit

If you are getting a benefit and have an immediate need for something essential you may be able to get an advance payment of your benefit. WINZ generally pay the supplier for the goods or services you need (e.g appliances, furniture, bedding, rent or school uniforms). You’ll need to pay them back but may be able to do this in installments. Read more here.


Childcare Subsidy

Childcare Subsidy is a payment that helps families with the cost of pre-school childcare. Read more here.


Community Services Card

The Community Services Card can help you and your family with the costs of health care. You’ll pay less on some health services and prescriptions. Read more here.


Funeral Grant

A Funeral Grant can help with some of the funeral costs of someone close to you who has died. Read more here.


Home Help

If you’re a parent or carer we may be able to help you with the cost of home help to complete household tasks or training in parenting skills. Read more here.


Out of School Care and Recreation (OSCAR) Subsidy

Out of School Care and Recreation (OSCAR) Subsidy is a payment which helps families with the costs of before- and after-school programmes, and school holiday programmes. It helps with the costs of before- and after-school programmes for up to 20 hours a week, and school holiday programmes of up to 50 hours a week. Read more here.


Recoverable Assistance Payment Grant

Recoverable Assistance is a payment which helps people pay for something they need urgently when they have no other way of paying for it. This grant is generally paid for items such as appliances, school uniforms or rent arrears. Recoverable Assistance has to be paid back, but may be paid back in instalments. Read more here.


Special Needs Grant

A Special Needs Grant is a payment to help people in certain circumstances pay for something when they have no other way of paying for it. You don’t usually have to pay them back either. Read more here.


Temporary Additional Support

Temporary Additional Support is a weekly payment which helps someone who can’t meet their essential living costs from what they earn or from other sources. Read more here.


Tell Work and Income if you’re leaving New Zealand

Work and Income state that they are here to help if you need it. If you’re struggling to support yourself or your family, do contact them. They can often help. It is better to contact them before you apply for assistance. That way they can learn about your circumstances and talk to you about the types of assistance you might get.

You must tell Work and Income if you’re travelling overseas. You need to let them know before you leave New Zealand, no matter how long you plan to be away or why you’re travelling.

Your benefit will automatically stop from the day after you leave New Zealand, unless you’ve told them before you go and they’ve agreed there are special reasons that mean your payments can continue.

If you talk to them before travelling, you can continue to receive your benefit while overseas for up to 28 days in any 52 week period. There are some special circumstances where you may be able to be away for longer than 28 days, for example if you’re:

  • Travelling to receive medical treatment supported by the Ministry of Health
  • Travelling to compete in multinational or international Special Olympics or Paralympics (travel may be up to six weeks)
  • Attending a specific vocational training course or for disability assistance dog training (travel may be for up to two years in total)

If you tell them after you’ve left, and they agree there are special reasons, they’ll restart your benefit but we won’t backdate your payments.

For budgeting advice

Contact FamilyBudgeting  or your local budgeting service.